Our new house is a bus, which means it has an engine, transmission, diesel tank, batteries and air tanks. That means, there is some work has to be done under the bus, and, it’s very dirty there. Couple weeks Kevin is fighting with leaking air tank. So far, it’s not very successful. Marina is trying to clean fifteen years dirt under the bus, so Kevin would see what is going on there. Very dirty job….
And, we are back to work on the bus. Today’s goal was to put up the walls for the shower/head and closet/pantry. It doesn’t seams like a complicated task, but it was for us. Cutting the tops of the walls (3/4 inch of the plywood) to fit the curve of the ceiling was almost impossible! After couple tries, we finally got it right. As the result, we have nice four walls and our bus start looking like a house.
We took couple days off from Lucky 8 to work on our current home, sailboat Lucky Seven. Couple things had to be fixed on the boat before she will have the new owner. On the way to the boat yard we had a chance to sail with our jib, the last time… After fixing the problem we anchored in the nearby lake for overnight, saying good by to our companion in travel of seven years.
Today is a very exciting day for us. We are installing pex in the floor for heating bus’s floors. I would love to have this feature on the cold winter day in my future home. The process of installation is pretty easy. First, create tracks in the floor’s foam insulation (that creates a lot of sticky flying little pieces), then place pex in these tranches, then cover it with the aluminum thin plates for the better conduction of the heat in the floor, then cover by the plywood and, the subfloor is done!
Working on the electrical and plumbing systems is not much fun and takes time. You could not see progress of your work until you hookup the batteries, and that will happen not soon yet. For such small area it seems like a lot of wires. We pulled 250 feet of the electrical wire and had to order some more. It seems our bus will be very bright inside! We will have lights more than Christmas trees…porch light, entry light, stair light, whatever light, we got it all!
It’s time to build first piece of the furniture for our bus. It’s a “bed time”! I never suspected that building your own bed would be so much fun. Luckily, Kevin is very much more experienced in advance carpentry than me. In no time at all, our “Drill Team”, Kevin and me, created this wonderful piece of furniture! It’s a Queen, foldable in the middle, and could be used as a bed futon sofa.
The first month of converting our shorty school bus past by very fast. Every day around 8 am, including weekends, we diligently driving to work on our project. On the way to work we stop either at the Home Depot, or Loves, or our local neighboring construction store. We missed only two days of work on the bus! What did we accomplish in the first month? We gutted it, installed trucks for solar panels, fixed the subfloor, skinned the windows, rubber seal painted, electrical – removed excess wires, rerouted exhaust, found the air tank problem, made under carriage mounts for tanks and propane, fixed the engine squeak, patched holes in the ceiling, framed ceiling and walls, and put floor insulation.
It’s almost a month we are working on our new home. Finally, we are getting to the fun work – framing inside of the bus. It’s much cleaner and fun working with the plywood and 2×2. Drills, chop saw, hand saw, and wonderful smell of the freshly cut wood.
Today we moved to the engine room. Much bigger engine room than the boat.
The horn was leaking air. Air is important in these vehicles. The air enables you to stop, hence air brakes. So we took apart the horn and found the leak, will reassemble tomorrow.