Hard to admit, but we are behind in our work… we need another month

We planed to finish our conversion by the end of the April, but that did not happen. We worked every day, including weekends, long hours, but.. we are behind. The weather in Florida is getting less bearable with every day. Temperature is steady 90s. It’s humid. The paint is not drying for 3 days. Our little apartment doesn’t have AC. We have to stay here for another month, May.

But we did a lot of interior and “under the bus” work. Our “skoolie” start looking like we can live there!

Our kitchen is almost ready – cabinets are done, the Unique fridge is installed and working, faucet and drain working, settees are done, bedroom cabinets are done, the ceiling is REdone and finally sturdy, shower drain installed and working, the air system is fixed and we feel confident about the breaks.

Ready for good night sleep?

Marina has been hard at work staining and varnishing the walls. After hours and hours of thoughts and trips up and down the aisles of Home Depot, we decided to keep the walls “au natural”. This decision, or there lack of, gives us the most flexibility. For when we tire of the natural look, we can stain it another color, or paint them, or spread some wall paper on them. The choices are endless and that is what got us into this current situation.

We added some shelves give the bed to hold our all important items we bring with us. The doors are yet to be manufactured, but I am sure that will happen in the next week or so.

But we are getting closer to being finished with the bedroom. I suppose we will never be “finished”, just done enough.

Marina has forbidden Kevin to touch any of the walls with his dirty hands. This will be fun to enforce

“Bunny suit” and foamy disaster

Dressed up in the “bunny suits” we created foamy disaster in our bus. We decided to apply foam insulation by our own, and save about $700. Yes, we saved those money. But, first 100 sq. feet were spent on figuring out “how to” apply this crazy foam. It definitely was not the best application of the expensive insulating chemical. Big amount of this insulation got stick to the floor, water heater, wires and such. The walls and ceiling got a good portion of insulation, but it definitely could be improved. Oh, well. We tried…

Dirty oil vs clean oil, oh yes, you can tell difference.

Since we don’t know the history of the maintenance of our skoolie, we decided just to change the oil. We were very happy that we did. Because the drained old oil was dark blackish brown color. It’s definitely was not good for the engine. The new oil is nice pinkish color.

A/C woes

The story is familiar.  We purchased a Coleman 15k btu air conditioner from a mobile RV mechanic near West Palm.  He said it worked an was 4 years old.  To his credit, it may have worked when he pulled it from the RV in which he placed a new A/C.  But we are not having much luck getting it to give us any cold air.

Yes, I watched the video.  I watched several videos. Lots of good, and bad, stories out there. Nevertheless, I ordered the infamous capacitor, a small price to pay for fix. The problem is I don’t think that’s the last price I will have to pay. It may also be the control board. Luckily Amazon Prime will have that capacitor to us tomorrow and the truth will be told.

Installing windows!

The most skoolies kept the original school bus windows. But we decided to switch to the RV windows… and, after installation we are not sure it was good decision. First, the RV windows we bought on Amazon and eBay are very low quality. It seems that they are done with the cheapest available materials, and feel more like one time use toy than the window that could withstand rain and movement of the bus. Second, the installation of the windows was disaster… there were not any fitting bolts and nuts with the windows, and we had to improvise on the spot. Well, all six windows are in, and will see how long they will last.