Exhaust System Rerouted

Exhaust out the side

So in order to free up some precious space underneath the bus we needed to reroute the exhaust pipe. It originally ran from the front of the bus all the way to the very back. This 4″ exhaust pipe occupied a lot of space and nothing could be close to it because of the heat.

So, we removed the pieces of exhaust that were pieced together from the bank of the bus up and over the rear axel stopping 2 feet before the muffler. Now all we needed was an elbow which we got from NAPA to make the turn out the passenger’s side. The next step was to cut off about a foot of the exhaust pipe still remaining and then place the elbow on that shortened exhaust pipe. With the elbow in place we were able to use a piece of the tail pipe we removed to attach to the elbow and run it out between the fuel tank and the rear tire.

The only part you really see is the cool cheap stainless steel exhaust tip.

Tank Supports Installed

Tank Mounts

Building a bus in Stuart has it’s challenges. Stuart is not a metropolis for building material. While Stuart does offer Lowes and The Home Depot as well as two electrical supply stores right next door to each other, what it’s lacking is selection. The Aisles of this Home Depot are not long enough to show the curvature of the earth as they are in other cities. In fact you can walk across the entire store in about 30 seconds. So with the limited floor space, this also limits selection.

Of course we try to order things online, but when times get tough and lack of planning stumbles upon us, we spend a lot of time at one the big box stores. Marina knows exactly where the restroom is in both stores and is pretty fluent with the Hardware and Electrical aisle at this point.

Nevertheless, we have the supports for our 4 tanks almost up. It’s always almost. Four tanks all the same size all 40 gallons. Two for water and two for black and gray water. The tanks still need to be ordered and that will take about 4 weeks. I better get on that.

15K BTU Air Conditioner -:O

Coleman 15K btu Air Conditioner

I have no idea how much air conditioning we need for a 28′ bus, but I believe this unit should eliminate the need for a fridge. This is the biggest unit that Coleman makes. It’s the grand daddy of A/C units. We purchased them from some mobile RV repair guy in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. The jury is still out on how well it works, or if it works. $250!

But what we did get was some really good Tacos in Palm Beach Gardens at Chula Taco or Taco Chula. Regardless, they are the real deal. Great tacos!

We have not had too many clean jobs.

Dirty Jobs

So far our work has been dirty. Whether it’s removing fiberglass insulation, sanding old glue, angle grinder dust (lots of it), painting the floor, washing the under carriage or just sweeping up the debris, Marina always looks like a bunny

What did we do past four days…. floors, floors, floors..

Removing seats from the bus was very easy and quick task, but removing the tracks where seats were mounted took us four days! We extracted 366 bolts from the floor, one by one… The question was, what do you do to patch those 366 bolt holes??? We tried three different methods, which two of them totally did not work: Bondo Hair from Walmart (it was gooey disaster on the floor), then Bondo Putty from Home Depot (the putty just fall down through the bolt holes). Finally, we bought a fiberglass tape at Home Depot. Both of us working very quickly (before putty hardens) we applied putty over the tape. That solution seems helped mostly, but not 100%. Then we sprayed Rust Oleum over the floor to prevent/cover rust. The next day we got rubber sealant from Home Depot and spread over the floor, we hope that will help against leaking through original 366 bolt holes. Will see.. maybe..

366 bolt holes covered by rubber sealant paint

Removing 400+ bolts which hold the chair tracks

Too many bolts!

It took over 2 days to remove all those bolts laying there on the floor. Those tracks were secured with bolts that went through the floor and a nut was underneath which had to be found. It’s another dirty job. We will reuse these tracks for the solar panel mounts and the roof storage rack

Chair Track Removal

Oh those tracks

The chair removal was easy, it’s the damn tracks that take so long. I sure wish we would have stopped by a car wash on the way home. Every time you touch something under the bus a blast of dirt falls from the bottom and lands in my eyes.